Career Options After 12th in Commerce
Before students move on to 11th Standard after clearing there 10th Board exams, they have no idea of the career options available to after 12th in commerce.
Traditionally, students had very limited options to choose from like CA, B.Com, BBA, etc., but today’s scenario is changed, as India has become a global nation after entrance of MNCs and global organizations in the country.
Top Rated Colleges
One of the Career Options After 12th in Commerce is to try to enter in Top colleges of Commerce.
How to Select a College?
If you go to a top-rated college, pursue a course which is rated best at that college instead of a course which doesn’t provide you with a job at the end of your 3-year graduation.
Assess the placement record of that college during the past years.
- Shri Ram College of Commerce (SRCC), DU is famous for its B.Com (Hons) degree and also provides you with a good placement opportunity at the end of your graduation.
- Narsee Monjee Institute of Management Studies (NMIMS) which comes under Mumbai university is famous for its bachelor’s degree in management.
- Some colleges provide unique courses which gives you opportunity for exposure to Practical knowledge while pursuing a B.Com/ B.Com (Hons) degree. Global Center for Entrepreneurship and Commerce provides courses such as B.Com (Hons) in International Accounting and B.Com (Hons) in Entrepreneurship which are aimed at providing Practical knowledge while applying theoretical learning.
- Some colleges provide degrees in BBA with Integrated diploma courses related to Mass Media and Communication such as International School of Business and Media, Pune.
Note: As the Hiring Process has got more and more stringent in companies, an employer expects a student to have practical experience which is related to the degree he/she is pursuing. Having practical knowledge is a must to get successful placement offers.
How to Enter in These Colleges?
- Many colleges like SRCC, Hansraj college in Delhi University selects students on the basis of their 12th Board percentage.
Criteria for Selection
- Marks of Best four subjects including English.
- You should have Maths as a core subject in 12th.
- Other colleges like NMIMS, Shaheed Sukhdev College of Business Studies (SSCBS), have their own selection process which includes a written exam and a personal interview, and sometimes a group discussion, and some part of their 12th board percentage.
Some of the exams by top colleges and universities:
- DU-JAT – Delhi University
- NPAT – NMIMS
- SET – Symbiosis, Pune
- Christ University, Bangalore
- Xavier’s College, Mumbai
Another choice for you is to pursue a specialized course according to your interest and which requires a specific skill set to work in that industry. The variety of courses which are available here are as follows:
- Hotel Management
- Event Management
- Geography and many more.
As these courses are skill based you need to go for a college which provides you with the best knowledge about that industry and proper skills to work in that environment.
These colleges mostly take their own entrance exams to make sure the student has the basic knowledge about that field.
Note – Please make sure to keep yourself updated with registration and exam dates of these colleges as these colleges start their admission process earlier than other colleges during the period of November to January.
Professional Courses in Commerce
The demands of Industry professionals in the field of finance and commerce has increased two folds. The emerging global demand for professionals in finance and accounting has helped grow the market.
Apart from the traditional CA degree available to students, there are a number of different professional courses in commerce & finance that a 12th Standard Commerce graduate can pursue.
- ACCA – Association of Certified Chartered Accountants
- CIMA – Chartered Institute of Management Accounting
- CMA – Cost and Management Accounting
- CLAT – Common Law Aptitude Test
- NATA – National Aptitude Test in Architecture
- CFA – Chartered Financial Analyst
- ICWA – Institute of Cost and Work Accountants